Wednesday, October 17, 2018

LAUAN601 Practical consideration

The practical section of my essay will centralised around the 3rd chapter , which is visualising my own depiction of robotic designs in my own environment. This will be complete through a series of digital 2D concept mood drawings , designed not only to showcase the design itself, but also present it within an environment/context that serves to tell a story of each drawing. I feel like this is a good choice, since not that it only relates to the topic im discussing within the essay itself, but falls within the realm of practice that I want to improve as well - that is concept art. And better yet, since it does involve a number of character designs essentially, it can also translate into my extended practices.

With that said, the focus here is "robots" , in any shape and kind. First and foremost , I really want to base it of the current technology trends we're already seeing in the real world, especially the digital such as Boston dynamics, A.I , VR , ... but advance it more into my own vision of what the future could be. Among these ideas, I find the though of androids and robot with a level of human-like rationality and emotion extremely interesting, since, if you think about it, it leads to such a vast amount of potential narratives to discuss, such as, human-machine relationships, machine and machine realtionships, the position of robots then as an equal being in society, humanity and love and etc. This interested is all the more emphasised after I watched Spike Jonzes's "Her" and "I'm here"

  Image result for spike jonze Im here
I'm here
Image result for her spike jonze Her

So the idea I have in my for my world now, is where androids and robots have the same emotional and thinking level as human and both exist peacefully and equally with each other in society ( taking a page of Issac Asimov first rule of robotics - robots don't harm humans, I really want to steer of the pessimistic dystopia-like view that many modern scifi insists on nowadays). this can be portray through various depiction of regular human activities but now performed by androids in their own unique ways wether it is going to a concert , singing, sleeping , falling in love, going on a date. Perhaps this can even includes depictions of human / robot couples falling in love ( with the help of  VR ? ) and go about their daily lives together.

 I really want these robots to look like they are a part of normal everyday life instead of the cliche, walking tin can, but still retains that mechanical uniqueness to everything they do.

So from that , when it comes to the designing the robots and andriods themselves, The majority of them will be anthropomorphic. The base design will follow the role of the robot in society, right I'm thinking of a regular couple male and female robot, an idol robot singer ( taking inspiration from Japan's digital popstar Hatsune Miku) , a paramedic and a construction worker.

I'd still want them to like look mechanical for sure especially in areas where it translates to proper functions, such as extending arms or claw hands and such, but has a level of approachability and endearing to them through either a simplistic and emotive design , or has features that imitates human, such as regular clothing. I'm here and Wall-E are great examples of this , in fact , I'm here has just been such a big influence on the entire idea ! Zenyatta from Overwatch is also another great examples.

Image result for spike jonze Im here

Image result for spike jonze Im here
This is something very much close to my vision . A regular robotic Joe

Related image
Overwatch


robot Idol 

No comments:

Post a Comment