Monday, November 5, 2018

LAUAN601: Practical #2



Results from the Twitter poll came to match my expectations as 2 and 6 came out as the winner. However, after some experimentation with the body, I found the roundness and 'chubbiness' of 6 really offsets the characteristic and aesthetic of the entire body, and as a Twitter user commented :

''2. The thinner face makes me think of an adult, where as 6 reminds me of a child with it's rounded features. I'd want a servant that seems experienced and capable, not young and ignorant. The simple face seems friendly, I imagine that it could express through emotes''

Therefore I settled with a combination of both designs for the final head. As a result, the design managed retained the expressiveness of 6's digital screen face while balance it out with a more well-proportioned head shape.

As part of the concepts, I also rendered out some extra details on the mechanical skeleton of SAM as, well as visually describe the 'customizable elements' of it, including the 'male' and 'female' body proportion examples, and suggestions on shifting parts.

Finally, to finish of the character design process, I made a more detailed T-pose sheet (with both the female and male body). This can be utilised later on if I ever decided to make a 3D model out of it.

Overall I really like the concept I came up with for SAM, and I think I succeed in my goal in a sense that it came out looking clean, simplistic, approachable and highly adaptable to different looks, elements that I feel would be characteristic of a mass-produced service robot of the future. Narratively however, there's been discussions regarding the question : "What if the customers wants an animal, or a baby robot", which is an idea I've experimented with the Sammy body-type in the concepts above. However, for the particular subjects of the mood paintings I'm doing (love and old age), I think the Samuel and Samantha would be sufficient.


No comments:

Post a Comment